5/11/2012

guest post::brown bobbin!




Hey Make it Dear readers, My name is Melissa (I blog over at Brown Bobbin) and I am super honored to share this little DIY with you today...

A while back I bought a bunch of Ikea rugs after I saw a pic on craftgawkers that showed a bunch of rugs sewn together to make a large area rug.  I did sew 3 together and then I was over it.  A few weeks ago I made a friend a big bag out of one of the leftover rugs.  It was super easy and I loved it so much I decided to make one for myself...since i just happened to have more rugs.

Here is how I made it. 


1. Get your rug or if you don't happen to have an ikea rug hanging around, I guess fabric will work just fine...you just won't have the fun fringe edge.
2. Fold rug in half and sew both side edges together almost to the top. Stop about 4 inches from the top.
3. On inside of bag fold corner out to form a triangle.  Sew about 2 inches from tip of corner straight across to make the triangle.


4. Turn bag right side out.
5. Fold top edge over about one inch and sew.  This makes the casing for your strap.
6. Sew some straps.  I used some vinyl that I had and made it about 3/4 inch thick.  Length of strap is just to your liking.
7. Feed strap through casing on bag and then sew strap together to form a large loop.  Push part where strap is sewn together to be inside of casing.
8. Hand sew strap to bag where strap enters casing.  Cinch up the top and then sew the other side where the strap exits the casing.



Fill that big bag up and go have some fun!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you so much for sharing this fun project Melissa, how perfect is it for summer?  I can picture it in every colour and being a part of some sunny adventures!  xo Mandi

3 comments:

  1. It turned out so pretty!
    Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I keeps seeing rugs turned into things like pillows, other rugs, etc but this is the first really exciting rug repurpose I've seen. Now I want to run to IKEA, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, I think I'll be adding this to my to do list!

    WillowWould.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete